Thursday, July 14, 2011

210...

Spent the day in Gaia, the town just across the river from Porto.  There is a famous two level bridge that connects Porto and Gaia which was designed by a student of Gustave Eiffel so the ironwork has similarities to the Eiffel Tower.  I'll post pictures soon, but in the meantime - wow! The view walking across the top level is spectacular.  As it turns out, if you take the lower level back, you need to walk up concrete stairs on the Porto side. A lot of concrete stairs. 210 concrete stairs to be specific. Yes, I counted.  Today's lesson learned: always take the top level back.

Okay, back to my great day before the 210 stairs.  Most of the vineyards in the northeastern part of Portugal have their wine cellars in Gaia, some for hundreds of years. I toured a few today, and while the beer nerd in me didn't find them quite as intriguing as brewery tours, the cellars are really incredible structurally and it was interesting to learn the process and the history.

Tomorrow I'm heading north to take a boat ride through the Douro Valley (where all the vineyards are located). From what I understand, it is one of the most beautiful wine regions in the world, and I'm sure seeing it from the river will be amazing. 

~ N