Thursday, July 21, 2011

A Few Random Thoughts

Hard to believe more than a week has gone by.  I truly enjoyed the nice, slow start to my trip. I've spent the mornings visiting museums or touring sites, and the afternoons sipping sangria by the river and just reading or talking with other travelers. I have made some great connections here and will be a little sad to leave. The Portuguese people are so warm and truly make you feel like family. 

In any case, tomorrow I head to Madrid to meet the group for the first of my two volunteer programs in Spain. As I pack up and get ready to move on, here a few random thoughts rolling around in my head...

- European license plates are awesome.

- Port wine and dark chocolate make a delicious lunch.

- I love the sound of young children speaking foreign languages.

- The Portuguese are not fans of vegetables.

- In some cases, there is a little "magic" button that you need to hold when you turn on the faucet so that your shower has hot water.

- Is it really necessary to have 1¢, 2¢, 5¢, 10¢, 20¢, 50¢,1€ and 2€ coins?  I pretty much need one of those old school train conductor coin dispensers at this point.

- I have found the holy grail of ice cream bars (for me), and I am thankful that I did not discover it until yesterday. There are not enough stairs to undo the damage that could have resulted if I found it on day one.

~ N


p.s. I added a few more pics to the album (the album link is now on the top left side of the page)