Thursday, September 29, 2011

A Deep Breath



Sometimes when the sun sparkles off the ocean it is even more beautiful than when fireworks light up the night sky.

Thessaloniki was the perfect choice to end this portion of my trip.  After my rather difficult week on the HFH build, this has truly been an oasis.  Yesterday I walked through the center of the city heading towards the sea and the minute I caught the scent of the ocean floating through the air, I felt my shoulders relax.  I sat on the sea wall for almost an hour just breathing. The weather this week is picture perfect.  A little brisk in the morning, warm and sunny all day, then cool in the evening.

I am staying in Ano Poli (the old city) in the most amazing guesthouse I have had the pleasure to stay to date.  It is a brand new, family owned place in a residential neighborhood and the young brother and sister who run it, Vicky and Harris, are amazing.  They are so energetic, hospitable, genuine and just all around good people. They live here as well and you really feel like you are staying with friends.  Their mom is always baking something or other that we get to enjoy with breakfast, and often times family members come over and sit in the beautiful courtyard area with us at night.

There are several people staying here who are relocating to Thessaloniki so I've made more contacts over all the world.  We are lucky enough to have a terrific little restaurant right around the corner that seems like it was just dropped in the middle of the homes here.  Several of us have walked over for dinner a few nights now and each time is better than the last.  It's nice to be able to enjoy a fantastic dinner outside of the busy center of the city. 

The update on the tooth situation is that it is still bothering me a little (as the medicine works, I guess?) but I've been emailing with my great dentist at home and they are going to see me the day I get back to get everything sorted during my short stop there.  You have to love technology.

I've been using this time to do a lot of prep work for South America (while sitting in the courtyard drinking delicious frappes that Vicky and Harris make all day long...), and I'm starting to get excited.  I'm really looking forward to being in Spanish speaking countries again and continuing to learn the language. I still found myself answering people in Spanish whether I was in Italy, Macedonia, or Greece...I have obviously fallen in love with the language.  It's amazing the difference between learning a language in a classroom at Rutgers and living the language day to day.  That being said, I feel like I am losing my Arabic because it's been so long since I've used it regularly so Mom & Dad - we are speaking only Arabic while I am home!
 
Love and miss you all.
~ N