Saturday, September 24, 2011

Round Two

Well Georgys... as of yesterday I am no longer the only member of our family to never have a root canal.  (I will, however, be the only one to have a root canal started in one country and finished in another.) The story goes like this -

After another sleepless night, I forced myself to go to the work site in hopes that the distraction would help take my mind off the pain while I waited for the antibiotic to do its job.  It was a very long day, and by that night I was in even more pain than the day before.  Not good.  After a third night of little to no sleep, I went back to the dentist yesterday.  Now the pain was in the upper right side as well as the lower.  When they x-rayed the top it turned out that sure enough, I needed a root canal. Oh joy.  The first part was done yesterday (wow...pain), and today I went back for round two where they put in the medicine that should work to completely resolve the issue over the next 2 weeks.  In the meantime, I emailed my dentist back home and they have scheduled me for the day after I arrive so I will have the finishing work done there.  Always an adventure.

I've missed volunteer days and I'm frustrated and tired but these things happen. The most disappointing part is that my team spent the day at the HFH build site in Veles today (about 1 hour from here) and they got to see the work that is being done there.  I got to see the inside of the dentist office...for the 3rd time this week. Boo.

All in all, I am thankful that it is (mostly) resolved and that it didn't happen anywhere that I didn't have access to proper care. Tomorrow is my last day in Macedonia and Monday morning I head to Thessaloniki, Greece. 

Since I've received a few emails expressing concern about the strike situation in Greece I thought it would be good to let everyone know (ahem...Mom & Dad) that I have been keeping in touch with owners of the guest house where I will be staying as well as following a website that is updating tourists with all strike information.  Greek air traffic controllers have been on 'white strike' since September 4th which involves strict adherence to air regulations and no overtime, but is only causing occasional minor delays (no cancellations).  So don't worry, you're going to see me in October whether you like it or not!

Love and miss you all.
~ N