Wednesday, November 30, 2011

In an Instant


I've been in Buenos Aires for one week and the gut feeling I've had since I left for South America has turned out to be true - I instantly felt at home when I arrived here.  In many ways, the city reminds me of NYC... but in South America.  Each barrio (neighborhood) is unique and I find myself walking through an area and thinking "this feels like Soho", "this feels like Midtown", etc.  Following through with that theory, I am currently living in what feels like the Brooklyn of Buenos Aires. San Telmo is an incredible neighborhood and it is the reason I fell in love with this city.  Yep, I said it. I'm in love. When it comes down to it, I'm a city girl. As much I enjoy and appreciate chilling out on a beach, hiking in the mountains, or zip-lining through a forest, I can feel a city and I absolutely love that.  It's hard to explain but I know there are a few of you who understand, and the rest are smiling and shaking their heads at yet another "Nancy-ism".

So, my apartment is in the heart of San Telmo (this picture was taken from my street corner) and basically any direction you walk you will find cafes, restaurants, vintage shops, art galleries, bakeries, etc.  There are always people out and about and it has a great vibe or "buena onda" as they say here. Every Sunday the streets are closed for a huge street market filled with antiques, art, handmade jewelry, leather stuff, live music, tango demonstrations, and delicious empanadas (for the equivalent of $1 US). It is a perfect lazy day activity. I spent this Sunday with two friends from Ireland and it basically went like this: walk, browse, listen to music, stop for a beer, walk, browse, have a snack, stop for another beer, walk, browse, listen to more music.  You get the idea.

On to real stuff.  Class started this week and the first few days have been a little intense due to the fact that there was a holiday this week so we added the missed hours to the other days. Ouch.  My brain is slightly fried but it was in need of a little workout so no complaints.  The school itself is in a great location downtown right off the main square (Plaza de Mayo for those of you who know BA) and only a 15 minute walk from my apartment. Yes, the Spanish is slightly different here but... less conjugation - yay!  I am sure my Spaniard friends will chastise me for not speaking proper Castellano when I see them next but I secretly love the fact that it is a little easier to learn.  Or maybe not so secretly considering I just posted it on my blog. 

Besos!
~ N